Call Denton divorce lawyer Karen Alexander today at 972-420-6560!

Denton Divorce Lawyer

How to Change the Parentage on a Birth Certificate

If the recorded paternity of your child has changed since the creation of the child’s initial birth certificate, there are steps you can take to have the correct paternity reflected on this important document. The state of Texas has a simple two step process that can adjust a birth certificate to be an accurate document.

For more information about the legal implications of a change in official paternity, you need to contact an experienced family attorney. Contact the Denton paternity actions attorneys of Alexander & Associates today by calling 972-420-6560.

Steps to Changing a Birth Certificate

A birth certificate is a crucial document for a number of different functions, including enrollment in public school. Having your child’s birth certificate reflect his or her proper paternity can be beneficial to his or her personal identity. The following are steps you should take to officially change the paternity reflected on a birth certificate in the state of Texas.

  • Complete Form VS-166 which can be obtained from the Texas Department of State Health Services
  • This form must be signed by both parents in front of a public notary
  • If paternity was established by a court decree, only one parent must be present to sign this form in the presence of a public notary
  • Mail this completed form along with $25 for the reprinting of the birth certificate to the address below
  • Include one of the following supporting documents with the completed form and $25 fee
  • Certified Copy of a Court Decree
  • Certified Copy of a Marriage License
  • An Acknowledgement of Paternity
  • Texas Vital Statistics, 1100 West 49th Street, Austin, Texas 78756

  • If there is no father on the initial birth certificate, none of the supporting documents are required
  • If the paternity is being changed from one man to another, a court order or Acknowledgement of Paternity must indicate the denial of paternity of the formerly recorded father

Contact Us

Please contact the Denton paternity actions attorneys of Alexander & Associates for more information on establishing proper paternity by calling 972-420-6560.

Home   |   Greetings   |   Attorney Profiles   |   Practice Areas   |   Testimonials   |   Contact Us   |   Client Information Form   |   Other Resources  |   Articles

Copyright © -
Alexander & Associates |  190 Civic Circle, Suite 155  LewisvilleTX  75067 |  Phone: (972)-420-6560 | Disclaimer

We accept the following forms of payment: Cash, Cashiers Check, Personal Check, Visa, Mastercard