Call Denton divorce lawyer Karen Alexander today at 972-420-6560!

Denton Divorce Lawyer

Job Loss and Child Support

During difficult economic times, people may be forced to deal with pay-cuts, loss of bonuses, and job layoffs. For parents who pay to support their children, loss of employment can put a serious strain on their ability to make the payments required of them by the court in a divorce agreement. In some cases, struggling parents may be able to ask the court to modify the original decree and lower the amount required for support payments.

It is important to note that parents should continue making child support payments until their modification case has been settled. If you need assistance with a decree modification or other legal action, contact the Denton family lawyers of Alexander & Associates at 972-420-6560 to discuss your legal options.

Modifying a Child Support Decree

A modified child support decree may include:

  • Lowered payments to match your monthly income
  • Considerations for unemployed parents
  • Considerations for past employment
  • Considerations about your ability to work and earn income at a later date

A child support decree does not change until the court officially modifies it. It is essential that parents continue making the required payments throughout the claims process, or else they may face punitive actions for non-payment of child support.

Contact Us

If you are struggling to make regular child support payments due to a job loss or other life-altering event, contact the Denton divorce lawyers of Alexander & Associates today at 972-420-6560

Home   |   Greetings   |   Attorney Profiles   |   Practice Areas   |   Testimonials   |   Contact Us   |   Client Information Form   |   Other Resources  |   Articles

Copyright © -
Alexander & Associates |  190 Civic Circle, Suite 155  LewisvilleTX  75067 |  Phone: (972)-420-6560 | Disclaimer

We accept the following forms of payment: Cash, Cashiers Check, Personal Check, Visa, Mastercard